Saturday, 22 March 2008

Spate of Attacks on Pizza Delivery Drivers in Newcastle Continues

A PIZZA delivery man suffered a fractured skull after being attacked by a group of customers.

The man, who has not been named, was brutally beaten in an unprovoked attack as he dropped off a pizza in Wallsend.

His condition was today described as “potentially life threatening” as he lies in a hospital bed with multiple head injuries.

The 50-year-old was pounced on and attacked as he made a delivery in Brighton Close, Battle Hill.

A police spokesman said: “We are investigating a serious assault.

“It was an unprovoked attack on a delivery driver, resulting in the victim receiving serious head injuries.

“We are appealing for witnesses and assure members of the public information received will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.”

It is believed the pizza man was set upon by the people he was supposed to be delivering to.

He suffered a depressed skull fracture and a broken eye socket during the assault and was taken to North Tyneside General Hospital.

Police say he was beaten up while delivering pizzas at around 11pm on Thursday. Three men have been arrested in connection with the attack.

It is the latest in a series of attacks on pizza delivery men.

In November, brutes who carried out a sickening baseball bat attack on a pizza delivery man were jailed for a total of 14 years.

Adam Toopchi-Rendall, 21, who was working for Luigi’s pizza shop in Ashington, was attacked in the early hours of May 6 last year.

He was lured to Ashington’s Winchester Estate by masked robbers Shaun Bowden, 28, and Lance Hill, 26, who carried out the beating using a bat bearing the chilling words “bone breaker”.

Bowden, 28, of North Seaton, Ashington, admitted his part in the robbery, but Hill, of School Avenue, Guide Post, Choppington, was convicted after a three-day trial at Newcastle Crown Court.

In the same month another pizza delivery man was attacked and robbed.

The 27-year-old Newcastle man was driving along Warwick Road, in Wallsend, when the incident took place.

He stopped after he was flashed by another car, described as a small dark-coloured vehicle. The victim got out and was approached by two men who robbed him of cash before driving off towards the west of Warwick Road.

No comments: